AGU cancels Junior ART Championships; requests FIG to reschedule Development Projects
DOHA (QAT) AGU Office: The Asian Gymnastics Union (AGU) held an important administrative internal meeting via video conference on April 16.
Several decisions were made, but the most important one that came out was the cancelation of this year’s 16th Junior ART Asian Championships and rescheduling various Development Projects.
“If we can write to the FIG and request them to switch a part of the project next year as the situation is too difficult now due to Covid-19 pandemic. AGU will make a formal request to FIG. If they accept, a part of the projects will be moved to next year,” said AGU president Mr Abdulrahman Al Shathri.
On the FIG Congress, he added: “Though the official date for entry is May 20, 2020, AGU should move step by step. There’s a chance that the FIG Congress will be postponed till December 2020 or Jan 2021, but AGU will stick to the May 20 deadline. If FIG postpones their Congress, AGU will also do the same. We will send a formal mail to all the AGU Federations and ask them if they are willing to put up their candidates for different positions in FIG.”
The main decisions and information that came out of this meeting.
• 16th Junior ART Asian Championships was unanimously decided to cancel this year’s event. It will be rescheduled in April, 2022.
• ART, RG, TRA Asian Championships, originally dated May 2-10, 2020 was already canceled earlier.
• 18th RG Asian Juniors Championships is on schedule in Ulan Bator (MGL) from Sep 22-24, 2020.
• 7th AER Asian Championships, Pattaya (THA) Aug 20-23, 2020 is also on schedule.
• AGU will pay the air fare to the TC presidents only to attend the competitions.
• AGU Congress & EC meeting in Tashkent (UZB) is on schedule but will be treated as provisional’ given the current situation worldwide due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
• AGU will send a reminder to all its affiliated federations that the deadline for FIG Congress is May 20, or ask them if they’ve already sent their candidatures to FIG.
• AGU Development Projects 2020 : Originally scheduled for January–December, 2020. AGU will send a request to FIG to extend the period until April 2021 to organize the project and finalize the finance report.
Acro Training Camp – Kazakhstan
FIG Academy Level 3 for AER – Vietnam
FIG Academy Level 2 TRA – Hong Kong, China
FIG Academy Level 2 ART – Uzbekistan
FIG Academy Level 2 RG – Hong Kong, China
Training Camp for MAG — Philippines
Training Camp for WAG – Thailand
Preparatory Judges Course MAG – Korea Republic
Preparatory Judges Course WAG – Syria
• New updated calendar 2021-2024 will be shared with all AGU affiliated federations.
• AGU will communicate with Olympic Council of Asia and share the update on Asian Youth Games – Shantou (CHN) 20-28/11/2021.
• Branding Guideline and a new logo will soon be unveiled.
• AGU Online Registration System on AGU website will be ready by May 10, 2020.
• Some of the AGU affiliated federations haven’t cleared their membership dues. AGU requests them to clear the dues.
• The AGU is in open communication and frequent follow-up with all hosts of the 2020 AGU events and will provide further updates on the AGU website www.agu-gymnastics.com as soon as more information comes to hand.